Click Here for program schedule and online admission.
RGI releases Census 2011 data on Disabled Population
A new study by a disability rights group suggests that at least half the world's school-age children with disabilities are kept out of school due to lack of investment in their needs.Furthermore, billions of dollars of potential income from the world's poorest countries are being lost due to lack of schooling and employment opportunities for those with disabilities.
India faces the same sort of problems. The rates of disability are vastly under-reported. The last census in 2011 reported around 26 million people, just 2.74 percent of the population has a form of disability, compared to the global average for that year estimated at 15 percent.
Registrar General of India (RGI) has released data on disabled population in the age-group 5-19 by their attendance status in educational institutions and type of disability based on 2011Census on 31st October’2016. The relevant table (C-22) contains distribution of the disabled population in the age-group 5-19 by their attendance status in educational institution, type of disability, age, sex and residence for India, State/UT and Cities.Type of disabilities, upon which data is collected are:
• Vision Disability
• Hearing Disability
• Speaking Disability
• Locomotive(movement) Disability
• Mental Retardation
• Mental Illness
• Any Other Disability
• Multiple Disability
Key Highlights of the Data
• About 65.7 lakh disabled population in age-group 5-19 at Census 2011 in India out of which 40.2 lakh (61.2%) are attending educational institutions, which is much better in comparison to 2001 census, where about 33.0 lakh (50.5%) out of 65.3 lakh disabled persons in the same age group reported attending educational institutions.
• Amongst the remaining 25.5 lakh (38.8%), about 17.5 lakh (26.7%) never attended school, whereas rest 8 lakh (12.1%) attended educational institution earlier.
• The corresponding status for total population (3801.6 lakh) in the same age group at Census 2011 is 2698.1 lakh (71.0%) attending educational institutions, 449.4 lakh (11.8%) attended earlier and 654.1 lakh (17.2%) never attended.
• 22.8 lakh (56.7%) of the 40.2 lakh disabled people attending school in 5-19 age category in the census are males and remaining 17.4 lakh (43.3%) are females.
• Amongst the disabilities, persons with ‘Any other disability’ shows the highest percentage (71.2%) in attending educational institution.
• Remaining categories in order of percentageof attending educational institution are ‘Seeing’ (68.0%), ‘Hearing’ (67.0%), ‘Movement’ (59.6%), ‘Speech’ (58.9%), ‘Mental retardation’ (47.2%), ‘Multiple disability’ (37.2%) and least with ‘Mental illness’ (34.1%).
• Amongst the disabilities, persons with ‘locomotive disability’ shows the highest percentage (17.7%) of disabled persons who attended educational institution earlierfollowed by ‘Mental illness’ (15.5%), and least in ‘Multiple disability’ (8.4%).
• The ratio of disabled persons, who never attended any educational institution highest among persons with ‘Multiple disability’ (54.4%), followed by ‘Mental illness’ (50.3%) and ‘Mental retardation’ (41.2%) whereas persons with ‘Any other disability’ (17.7%) show the least percentage.