Indian arts include visual, performing and literary arts with multiple art types in each category. Thousands of artistes over the years have spent their lives to shape and enrich these art forms. Even in these modern times, many families follow various art forms and cultural activities that include forms of creative expressions. The cultural activities are vital to generate livelihoods along with binding force within the society. The cultures and traditions have been passed on from generation to generation in the form of visual, performing and literary arts etc.
The culture of any country is tangible as well as intangible. Preservation of intangible culture is a much more challenging task in as much as there is the need to save dying arts and culture especially in the modern day context which is driven by rapid technological developments.
The mandate of the Ministry of Culture is to preserve, promote and popularise India's diverse culture and ancient heritage along with its ethos & values for the benefit of mankind through sustainable measures and to ensure universal accessibility.
To meet this there is a need to have a consolidated database of information about cultural assets and resources i.e. cultural inventory at one place for essential planning, sustainable economic development and for preserving the scattered and extinct art forms. This data can also be used to streamline and rationalize various financial grant schemes being implemented by the Ministry for artistes and cultural organisations, and to ensure effectiveness, transparency and value for money.
Thus the government has launched National Mission on Cultural Mapping of India.
About the mission:
• The mission aims at converting the vast and widespread cultural canvas of India into an objective cultural map, designing a mechanism to fulfill the aspirations of the whole artist community of the nation and preserving the rich cultural heritage of this country in the form of a cultural repository of artists and art forms.
• This Mission encompasses data mapping, demography building formalising the processes and bringing all the cultural activities under one web based umbrella for better results.
• The Mission seeks to open a direct channel of communication of artists with the Government and peer to peer communication among artists for talent honing and handholding of each other.
• With a vision that no cultural talent or heritage should remain unattended and if it is talent, it should be nurtured and if it is a heritage, it should be conserved and used as an icon to learn from the past, and also to propagate our cultural talent across all boundaries, the Ministry has planned to hold talent hunt competitions with various rounds from Block level to National level.
• The scheme is set to cover all the Blocks of the Country, involving a total of 6.40 Lakh villages over the span of next 3 years.
Objectives of the Mission
• Establish the cultural mapping (i.e. database of cultural assets and resources) via running nationwide cultural awareness programme called Hamari Sanskriti Hamari Pahchan Abhiyan for the development of all art forms and artists. This Abhiyan will take care of their aspirations & needs by providing a robust mechanism under “Design for Desire and Dream” project.
• The Mission will run the Abhiyan also by arranging “Sanskritik Pratibha Khoj Samaroh Din” at various levels of this project.
• Establish a National Cultural Working Place (NCWP) portal for obtaining information, knowledge sharing, participation, performance and awards in the field of all art forms.
• To provide support in effective utilisation of financial & intellectual resources, minimising wastage of time in talent scouting and providing an opportunity for developing cultural inventory including artistes and art forms.
• Ranking/ Certification of attainments of any kind at any level acquired through formal or non-formal means in conventional or non-conventional art forms.
• Systematically building a comprehensive database of the capabilities of every individual artist over a period of time and developing a need based schemes/ provisions of Scholarship/Grants/Awards etc.
• All time availability of desired database on cultural assets and resources at village, district, State and national levels for self-paced learning.
• Identify places where platforms like Kala Grams, Craft Melas, etc. may be developed for sharing of ideas, techniques, and resource pooling for planned development and promotion of cultural tourism.
• Development of GIS (Geographical Information System) based resource inventory Standardisation & Quality Assurance of e-Content to make them world class.
• Spreading Digital Literacy for teacher empowerment and encouraging teachers/ gurus to be available on the internet for guidance/ mentoring of the artists along with online evaluation processes for artists. 16. Development of interfaces for other cognitive faculties which would also help physically challenged artists. These efforts may cut across all the content generation activities.