Target PT 2018 Online Classes Batch - 2
Complete Revision through MCQs, Program will start from 15th March, 2018
. Click here
for Course details & Online admission.
Survey of India
Survey of India
The National Survey and Mapping Organization of the country under the Department of Science & Technology, is the OLDEST SCIENTIFIC DEPARTMENT OF THE GOVT. OF INDIA. It was set up in 1767 and has evolved rich traditions over the years. In its assigned role as the nation’s Principal Mapping Agency, Survey of India bears a special responsibility to ensure that the country’s domain is explored and mapped suitably, provide base maps for expeditious and integrated development and ensure that all resources contribute with their full measure to the progress, prosperity and security of our country now and for generations to come.
Survey of India publishes maps and the unrestricted category maps can be obtained at very reasonable prices from its several Geo-spatial data centers. Restricted category maps require due approval from government authorities. Many other rules govern the sale and use of Survey of India maps. Only an Indian citizen may purchase topographic maps and these may not be exported from India for any reason.
The Survey of India acts as adviser to the Government of India on all survey matters, viz Geodesy, Photogrammetry, Mapping & Map Reproduction.
However, the main duties and responsibilities of the Survey of India are enumerated below:
• All Geodetic Control (Horizontal and Vertical) and Geodetic and geophysical Surveys.
• All Topographical control, Surveys and Mapping within India.
• Mapping and Production of Geographical maps and Aeronautical Charts.
• Surveys for Developmental Projects.
• Large-scale Cities, Guide Maps & Cadastral Surveys etc.
• Survey and Mapping of special purpose maps.
• Spelling of Geographical names.
• Demarcation of the External Boundaries of the Republic of India, their depiction on maps published in the country and also advice on the demarcation of inter-state boundaries.
• Training of officers and staff of Survey of India, other Central and State Government department and trainees from Foreign Countries.
• Research and Development in Digital Mapping and creation of Digital Topographical Data Base on 1:250,000, 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 scale, Printing, Geodesy, Photogrammetry, Topographical Surveys and Indigenization.
• Prediction of tides at 44 ports including 14 foreign ports and publication of Tide Table one year in advance to support navigational activities.
• Scrutiny and Certification of external boundaries & coastline on maps published by the other agencies including private publishers.