Arunachal scientist bags two Indian patents
Science & Technology
11th May, 2022
A scientist from the Centre of Excellence (CoE) for Bio-resources and Sustainable Development at Kimin in Papumpare district of Arunachal Pradesh has been granted two Indian patents for developing-
- Polyherbal formulation for the treatment of painful Diabetic Neuropathy
- hybrid cotton patch and a method for its fabrication
- Sanjeeb Kalita, the scientist of the centre under the Arunachal Pradesh State Council for Science and Technology (APSCS&T) carried out fundamental research and development for both the inventions at Guwahati-based Institute of Advanced Studies in Science and Technology.
- Both the inventions will have a far-reaching impact on the management of painful diabetic neuropathy and broad-spectrum uses as advanced bandage materials respectively
What is a Center of Excellence?
- A COE (Center of Excellence) is a centralized unit of dedicated people with a mission to streamline access to scarce, high-demand capabilities for rapid execution across the business.
- A center of excellence (COE) brings together people from different disciplines and provides shared facilities/resources.
- It is sometimes called a “competency center” or “capability center” in academia.
Centre of Excellence for Bioresources and Sustainable Development:
- It has been established within a record period of 3 years, with the unstinted support and grant of Rs 49 crores by Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science & Technology, and Government of India.
- It is the first-of-its-kind “Centre of Excellence” in the Northeast India.
- The Centre facilitate development of biodiversity and related sectors like horticulture and agriculture.
- The CoE is working on developing a framework for protecting community rights over traditional knowledge, aiming to provide benefits at the community level.
- The centre is working on developing valuable inventions by translational research and development on sustainable utilization of the rich bio-resources of the State.