Fourth Assembly of ISA
2nd Nov, 2021
The fourth general assembly of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) was held recently.
- On One Sun One World One Grid (OSOWOG)
- The ISA has given approval to the political proclamation of "One Sun" for the launch of the Green Grids Initiative-One Sun One World One Grid (GGI-OSOWOG) at COP26.
- OSOWOG: In the First ISA Summit in late 2018, the concept of a single global solar grid first came up.
- COP 26 Green Grid Initiative: The purpose of this program is to help achieve the scale and speed of changes in the market structures and infrastructure needed to support global energy transformation.
- New ISA programs
- On management of battery usage waste & solar PV panels and solar hydrogen programme.
- To enable the use of solar power to produce hydrogen at a more affordable price than currently available (USD 5 per KG), at a reduced rate of USD 2 per KG, the new Hydrogen system is planned.
- Target to achieve USD 1 trillion global investments in solar energy by 2030.
- At COP26 (United Nations (UN) Climate Change Conference), the Solar Investment Action Agenda and Solar Investment Roadmap will be presented.
- Other Solar Energy Initiatives in India
- National Solar Mission has been launched as a part of the National Action Plan on Climate Change) to establish India as a global leader in solar energy, by creating policy conditions for its global distribution as soon as possible.
- Indian Nationally Determined Contributions (INDCs) Mission has been launched to direct the installation of solar power systems connected to the 100 GW grids by 2022.
- India has set a goal of achieving 40% of the electricity collected from non-petroleum energy sources and reducing its GDP emissions by 33 to 35% from 2005 2030.
- International Solar Alliance (ISA) and One Sun One World One Grid (OSOWOG)
- Solar Park Scheme, Canal Bank & Canal top Scheme, Bundling Scheme, grid Connection Solar Rooftop Scheme and other government schemes have been launched.
- The National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC) Renewable Energy Ltd (REL) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Union Territory of Ladakh to launch the country's first Green Hydrogen Mobility project.
- Green hydrogen is produced by water electrolysis using renewable energy (such as Solar, Wind) and has a low carbon footprint.
International Solar Alliance (ISA)
- ISA, co-founded by India and France during the 2015 climate change conference in Paris
- ISA is an intergovernmental organization with a global mandate to promote solar growth by helping to reduce financial and technological costs.
- ISA is a major implementation center for the One Sun One World One Grid (OSOWOG), OSOWOG seeks to transfer solar energy generated in one place to supply the electricity needs of others.
- ISA has taken the center of India's efforts to play a leading role in global climate change.
- India has allocated 5 acres of land to ISA on the campus of the National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE), Gurugram and has donated Rs. 160 crore to create a corpus fund, building infrastructure and meeting day to day recurring expenditure up to 2021-22.
- NISE is an independent center of the Department of Energy and Renewable Energy (MNRE) and is a state-of-the-art National R&D center in the field of Solar Energy.