India’s population has already overtaken China’s
20th Jan, 2023
According to estimates from the World Population Review, India may have already surpassed China as the world’s most-populous nation.
About the Report:
- The South Asian nation’s population stood at 1.417 billion as of end 2022.
- China has announced the first population decline since the 1960s.
- The United Nations had expected the milestone to be reached later this year.
- As of January 18, India’s population had already climbed to 1.428 billion.
- India’s rapid economic growth pre-Covid and its relatively strong recovery from the pandemic, about 800 million people still rely on free food rations from the government, the largest program of its kind in the world.
Is India’s Population really increasing?
- Yes, India’s population is increasing with the world accordingly; however, there is an element of skewed growth within the nation.
- The overall growth rate of India’s population will remain stagnant in the upcoming decades. The evidence can be drawn from:
- A Replacement fertility rate of 2.1 has been achieved for most of the States in India.
- Emerging Health challenges and Pandemics.
- Awareness and Family planning Technique
- Gender-equal norms are prevalent as a sign of social transformation.
- Lack of affordability among most middle-income families for more children.