Neeraj Chopra and World athletics silver
29th Jul, 2022
Recently, Neeraj Chopra won a historic silver medal at the World Athletics Championships in Oregon, USA.
Neeraj Chopra became the first Indian ever to win a silver medal at the World Athletics Championships, as well as only the second Indian medallist at the elite competition after long jump legend Anju Bobby George.
- In 2013 Neeraj Chopra participated in his first international athletics event in Ukraine as World Youth championships.
- In 2014 he participated in youth Olympics qualification where he won a silver medal by recording a throw of 70m.
- In 2017 he participated in the Asian Athletic Championship where he achieved a gold medal.
- In the 2018, Commonwealth Games he won gold medal and became the first Indian player to win in Commonwealth games.
- In 2021, Neeraj Chopra has won gold at the Tokyo Olympics with a throw of 87.58m in his second attempt, becoming only the second Indian after shooter AbhinavBindra (2008) to win an individual gold medal in the Olympics.
- The javelin thrower from Haryana also became only the second Indian after Norman Pritchard (1900) and the first post-independence to win an Olympic medal in athletics.