|1.Nagaland gets 2nd railway station after 100 year
- Nagaland got its second Railway station on the Dhansari-Shokhuvi railway line after a gap of more than 100 years, since Dimapur station was opened in
- The project of Broad Gauge (BG) line connectivity from Dimapur (Dhansiri) - Zubza (Kohima) (82.50 km) in Nagaland was sanctioned in 2006-07.
- The hill segment would run an estimated 50km, while the plains segment from Dhansiri station (Karbi Anglong) to Shokhuvi runs an estimated 30km for an estimated total of 80km.
- The Dimapur-Zubza line will have around 20 tunnels and 19 major bridges.
- Shokhuvi Railway station is part of the Dimapur-Zubza Railway project.
- The railway station is an alternative train route for Nagaland and Manipur passengers to Guwahati.
|2.“Divyang Park’’ in Nagpur
- The first “Divyang Park” of Maharashtra has been established in Nagpur.
- Facilities: sensory garden, textile Pathway touch and smell garden, skill training facility, rehabilitation facility, Sports & infotainment, etc.
- The Scheme is being implemented by Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation of India (ALIMCO), a Public Sector Undertaking under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
3.Anang Tal lake was declared a monument of national importance
- Anang Tal, Mehrauli, an 11th Century mini lake built by the founder King of Delhi Anang Pal Tomar in 1052 AD, has been declared a monument of national importance
- The Hindu dynasty of Tomars ruled Delhi and the name itself has come from the Dhillikapuri of which several stone inscriptions were found by General Cunningham during the British ASI period.
- Anang Tal is situated “to the north of Jog Maya temple and approximately 500 metres to the northwest of Qutub Complex”, and dates back to 1,060 AD.
- Tradition ascribes this tank to a Tomar King, Anangpal II, and the builder of Lal Kot.
- It is said to have been a place of a general resort but now it is dried up and used for cultivation.
- It is also said Alauddin Khalji, in 1296-1316 AD, utilised the water of this tank when he built (Qutub) minar and extended the Qutub-ul-Islam mosque.
4.Economist Abhijit Sen passes Away
- Sen had a distinguished academic career with a Ph.D. in Economics at the University of Cambridge in 1981.
- The topic of his thesis was “The agrarian constraint to economic development: The case of India”.
- He joined the Centre for Economics and Planning at the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) in 1985.
- He was also chairman of the Commission for Agricultural Costs & Prices (CACP) in the first Atal Bihari Vajpayee-led NDA government, authored the report of the High-Level Committee on Long Term Grain Policy that was submitted in July 2000.
- Abhijit Sen was a member of the Planning Commission from 2004 to 2014.
- In 2010, he was awarded the Padma Bhushan for public service.
- It also favoured a universal public distribution system with uniform central issue prices for rice and wheat, while doing away with ‘below poverty line’ and ‘above poverty line’
|5. International Whale Shark Day
- International Whale Shark Day is observed on August 30.
- The Day is a day to let people know about the importance of whale sharks and their conservation.
- This year’s theme is “The Future of Sharks: Guardians of Our Seas.”
- The whale shark (Rhincodon typus) is the largest fish on Earth and a keystone species in marine ecosystems.
- They can live for up to 70 years and reach a height of over 12 feet. They are also one of the most endangered species
- The fish is listed as a Schedule I animal under the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972.
|6.Freshwater crab species found in the Western Ghats
- A distinctively coloured crab species has been discovered in the Western Ghats by a forest guard and a group of researchers.
- The crab has been named Ghatiana dvivarna sp nov.
- In India, there are about 125 species of crabs and 13 have been recorded so far under Ghatiana genus.
- Ghatiana dvivarna is the 14th freshwater crab to have been discovered.
|7.Delhi Police first force to make forensic probe mandatory
- Delhi Police has become the first police force in the country to make the collection of forensic evidence mandatory in crimes punishable by more than six years.
- Objective: To take the conviction rate higher and integrate the criminal justice system with forensic science investigation.
- Forensic evidence is evidence obtained by scientific methods such as ballistics, blood test, and DNA test and used in court.
|8.US warships passing through Taiwan Strait
The area lies in a typhoon zone.
- US Navy has announced that its two warships are passing through the Taiwan Strait.
- Taiwan Strait is also called Formosa Strait.
- The strait extends from southwest to northeast between the South and East China seas.
- It reaches a depth of about 230 feet (70 m) and contains the Pescadores Islands (which are controlled by the government of Taiwan).
- The chief ports are Amoy in mainland China and Kao-hsiung on Taiwan.