Rare melanistic tiger found dead in Odisha’s Similipal Tiger Reserve
Ecology and Environment
5th May, 2023
A rare melanistic tiger was found dead in Odisha’s Simlipal National Park (STR) in Mayurbhanj district.
About Similipal Tiger Reserve
- Similipal Tiger Reserve is the only place in the world to house the rare black tigers.
- STR was declared one of the nine Tiger Reserves of India in 1973, it is the second-largest biosphere reserve in Asia and is listed under the UNESCO network of biosphere reserves.
- The Similipal reserve had three adult melanistic tigers, according to the 2016 all-India tiger survey.
- Similipal tigers are part of a distinct lineage of central Indian tigers that occasionally includes melanistic tigers. These melanistic tigers have no other home in the world.
- Tigers are pseudo-melanistic, because they have black and yellow stripes on their bodies.