Varanasi nominated as SCO Tourism and Cultural Capital
Art and culture
23rd Sep, 2022
Varanasi has been nominated as the first-ever SCO Tourism and Cultural Capital during the recent meeting of Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Council of Heads of State in Samarkand, Uzbekistan.
Varanasi – India’s ancient city:
“Banaras is older than history, older than tradition, older even than legend and looks twice as old as all of them put together.” – Mark Twain
- Varanasi, also popularly known as Banaras or Kashi is one of the oldest living citiesin the world.
- It is known as the land of Lord Shiva, and is an important pilgrimage spot on the tourism map of the country.
- Associated with spiritualism, mysticism, Sanskrit, and Yoga,Varanasi is also a center of learning.
- Varanasi is also called the cultural capital of India.
- Moreover, Gautam Buddha preached his first sermon after enlightenment, just 10 km away from Varanasi in the village of Sarnath.
- Dasaswamedh Ghat, Ganga aarti, Dhamek Stupa, Banaras Hindu University, Kashi Vishwanath Temple, Durga Temple, Ramnagar Fort among several others, make an important part of Varanasi’s culture.
- Every year, a city having cultural heritage from the member country that takes over the rotating Presidency of the organization will be bestowed with the title.
- The title will help in promoting the cultural values of the city and add to values- economic, social, and more.
- India will chair SCO from September 2022 to September 2023.