What is the present status of milk production in India?
- India is a World leader in Milk Production for the past 15 years.
- Milk Production: In the year 2014-17, milk production increased by 16.9% to 465.5 million tonnes as compared to 398 million tonnes during 2011-14.
- Income of milk farmers: In the year 2014-17, income of farmers increased by 13.79% to Rs.33 per litre as compared to Rs.29 per litre during 2011-14.
What are the reasons behind this achievement?
- Our achievement is primarily due to the contribution of smallholder dairy farmers, milk producers, milk processing and marketing organisations.
- Besides this government has taken various steps to increase milk production.
What are Steps taken by government of India for dairy sector?
- National Mission for Bovine Productivity (NMBP): It has been approved by the government of India to make milk production more profitable.
- Rashtriya Gokul Mission:
- Objective: Its objective is to preserve and develop indigenous bovine.
§ Activities to be taken under this mission: Establishment of Gokul Gram, awarding farmers and institutes involved in the scientific rearing of Indigenous animals and inducting high genetic merit Bulls of Indigenous Breed into Semen Stations.
- E-Pashu Haat portal:
- It has been established under Rashtriya Gokul Mission.
- Objectives of this portal:
- Helping the livestock rearers and the farmers to sell and purchase Cattle and Buffaloes of Indigenous Breeds.
- Ensuring availability of quality bovine germplasm by linking farmers with livestock rearers.
- National Kamdhenu Breeding Centres:
- Two National Kamdhenu Breeding Centres are being established (one in Madhya Pradesh and the other in Andhra Pradesh).
- These will be centres of excellence for preservation and development of Indigenous Breeds in a scientific way.
- They would be a storehouse of Indigenous Germplasm as well as a source of proven genetics.
- Awards: government has introduced two awards in 2017 to award dairy farmers. These are:
- National Gopal Ratna and
- Kamdhenu Awards
- Way ahead for India?
- Although we have made significant progress in Milk Production, but still we have a long way to go to ensure availability of milk to our children’s.
- The dairy sector has a significant role to play in achieving Prime Minister’s objective to double farmer’s income by 2022.