Seed Village Concept
A village, wherein trained group of farmers are involved in production of seeds of various crops and cater to the needs of themselves, fellow farmers of the village and farmers of neighboring villages in appropriate time and at affordable cost is called "a seed village"
• Increasing the seed production
• Increasing the seed replacement rate
• Organizing seed production in cluster (or) compact area replacing existing local varieties with new high yielding varieties
• Self sufficiency and self reliance of the village
• To meet the local demand, timely supply.
The present programme of seed village scheme is having two phases:
1. Seed production of different crops: The area which is suitable for raising a particular crop will be selected, and raised with single variety of a kind.
2. Establishing seed processing unit: If the seeds are not processed and handled properly, all the past efforts in production may be lost. Thus seed processing and packaging is very important aspect in seed production.
• Seed is available at the door steps of farms at an appropriate time.
• Seed availability at affordable cost even lesser than market price.
• Increased confidence among the farmers about the quality because of known source of production.
• Producer and consumer are mutually benefited.
• Facilitates fast spread of new cultivars of different kinds.