Virtual ID for Aadhar is a temporary 16-digit, randomly-generated number that an Aadhaar holder can use for authentication or KYC services along with his/her fingerprint instead in lieu of the Aadhaar number. The VID together with biometrics of the user would give any authorized agency, say, a mobile company, limited details like name, address and photograph, which are enough for any verification.
It can be generated through Aadhaar resident portal, Aadhaar Enrolment Centers, and the mAadhaar app by Aadhar number.
Authentication agencies will get virtual Id only to generate UID token that authenticates it, and provides a limited set of demographic details, such as name, phone number, address etc.
• The virtual ID is supposed to hide the Aadhaar number from the authenticating agency, this expected to strengthen privacy.
• It is possible with virtual id to prevent profiling of citizens of India.
• VID is a temporary number that will be automatically revoked once the Aadhaar holder generates a new VID, make very difficult to data theft personals. (Like changing ATM pin frequently, it makes more secure).
• It also introduced what it described as a system of “Limited KYC” (Know Your Customer) to reduce the storage of Aadhaar numbers with the Authentication User Agencies (AUAs).(Note: 'limited KYC' is – it will only provide need-based or limited details of a user to authorised agencies.)
1. Which of the following statement is correct related to UID authority?
a) It may specify the usage of Aadhaar numbers for delivery of subsidies and services.
b) The UID authority will consist of a chairperson, two part-time members and a chief executive officer.
c) The chairperson and members are required to have experience of at least ten years in matters such as technology, governance, etc.
d) All of the above
Exp: The key functions of the UID authority include, (i) specifying demographic and biometric information to be collected during enrolment, (ii) assigning Aadhaar numbers to individuals, (iii) authenticating Aadhaar numbers, and (iv) specifying the usage of Aadhaar numbers for delivery of subsidies and services. The UID authority will consist of a chairperson, two part-time members and a chief executive officer. The chairperson and members are required to have experience of at least ten years in matters such as technology, governance, etc.