Target PT 2015
• It is the digital connection between location, people and activities. This technology can graphically illustrate what is happening (where, how and why) to show the insight and impact of the past, the present and the (likely) future.
• This new information technology field acquires, manages and analyses data that has geographic, temporal, and spatial context.
• It also includes development and management of related information technology tools, such as aerial and satellite remote sensing imagery, the Global Positioning System (GPS), and computerised geographic information systems (GIS).
• Satellite images bring daily weather reports and provide farmers with information for precision agriculture.
• Airborne infra-red scanners track our bushfires.
• Ambulance dispatch services.
• Global positioning systems monitor the location of thousands of trucks and taxis.
• Real estate sales use geographic information systems.
• All kinds of mapping.
• Under Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) and Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan (RMSA), a Web Based School Geographical Information System (GIS) application has been initiated for seamless visualization of school locations across the country.
• In this web application, base map services like street maps, and high resolution satellite images are available for better understanding of the topography/ terrain of the location.