Direct-to-Home satellite broadcasting or DTH is the distribution of television signals from high-powered geostationary satellites to small dish antennas and satellite receivers in homes across the country.
Early satellite television was broadcast in C band – radio in the 3.4-gigahertz (GHz) to 7-GHz frequency range. Digital broadcast satellite transmits programming in the Ku frequency range (10 GHz to 14 GHz).
The DTH signals can be received directly at homes with the help of a small sized dish receive unit containing a Dish Antenna of diameter 60 to 90 cm installed at the building’s roof-top or on the wall facing clear south and one indoor.
Set-Top-Box unit facilitating viewing of demultiplexed signals from DTH channel bouquet on TV set. The DTH signals can be received anywhere across the country irrespective of the terrain conditions provided the area comes under the footprint of the Satellite.
DTH transmission eliminates the intervening role of a local cable operator since a user is directly connected to the DTH service. DTH Transmission is most preferred in Ku- Band so as to avoid the need of larger Dish sizes for suitably receiving the DTH signals. As the DTH telecast is in the Digital mode, user is able to reap all the benefits of Digital transmission. Programs in the DTH bouquet are having higher resolution picture and better audio quality than traditional analog signals.
A DTH network consists of a broadcasting centre, satellites, encoders, multiplexers, modulators and DTH receivers.
A DTH service provider has to lease Ku-band transponders from the satellite. The encoder converts the audio, video and data signals into the digital format and the multiplexer mixes these signals. At the user end, there will be a small dish antenna and set-top boxes to decode and view numerous channels. On the user’s end, receiving dishes can be as small as 45 cm in diameter.
DTH is an encrypted transmission that travels to the consumer directly through a satellite. DTH transmission is received directly by the consumer at his end through the small dish antenna. A set-top box, unlike the regular cable connection, decodes the encrypted transmission.
Advantages of DTH Technology
• The main advantage is that this technology is equally beneficial to everyone. As the process is wireless, this system can be used in all remote or urban areas.
• High quality audio and video which are cost effective due to absence of mediators.
• Almost 4000 channels can be viewed along with 2000 radio channels. Thus the world’s entire information including news and entertainment is available to subscriber at home.
• As there are no mediators, a complaint can be directly expressed to the provider.
• With a single DTH service consumer will be able to use digital quality audio, video and also high speed broadband.
• It also offers interactive channels and program guides with customers having the choice to block out programming which they consider undesirable.