Asia is the World’s largest continent – 43,810,582 km². covering approximately 30% of the Earth’s land and 8.66% of the Earth’s surface.
It is bordered by the Ural Mountains to the east, the Arctic Ocean to the north, the Pacific Ocean to the west and the Indian Ocean to the south.
The highest point in the World, is Mount Everest (8,848 m), situated in the Tibetan region of the Himalayas.
The longest river in Asia and third longest in the World is the Yangtze (6,211 km) which flows through China.
The regions of Asia include:
• Central Asia: Commonly understood as comprising; Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Kyrgyzstan.
• East Asia: Commonly understood as comprising; China, Hong Kong, Macau, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Mongolia.
• South Asia: Commonly understood as comprising; Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh. A common approximate synonym for South Asia is the Indian subcontinent, plus Afghanistan.
• Southeast Asia: Commonly understood as comprising; Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Vietnam.
• Western Asia (or Southwestern Asia, or Middle East minus Egypt): Commonly understood as comprising; Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, the Gaza Strip, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen.
Asia lies almost entirely in the northern hemisphere and the seasons of all are similar. The seasons of southern and south-east Asia vary slightly because of the monsoons.
• Northern Asia, Central Asia, Eastern Asia
– Spring – March, April, May
– Summer – June, July, August
– Autumn – September, October, November
– Winter – December, January, February
• Southern Asia, South-East Asia
– Spring – December, January, February
– Summer – March, April, May
– Autumn – June, July, August
– Winter – September, October, November