India’s semiconductor mission might need a compass
- The United States Department of Commerce and its Indian counterpart have recently concluded a memorandum of understanding to ensure that subsidies by each country do not come in the way of India’s semiconductor dreams, as espoused by the much publicized semiconductor policy.
What is India’s Semiconductor Mission about?
- Create a prosperous semiconductor ecosystem- India's Semiconductor Mission is the latest division of the Digital India Corporation. The goal is to create a prospering semiconductor and exhibit ecosystem that would allow India to become a global center for electronics manufacturing and innovation.
- Self -Sufficient- The mission will be self-sufficient in terms of deciding the best technology combination, applications, node production, and capacity, as well as suggesting the fiscal aid framework and amount for approved applicants.
- Act as focal point - Led by global experts of the Semiconductor and display ecosystem the mission aims to serve as a focal point for the comprehensive, coherent, efficient, and smooth deployment of the Program.
Objectives of the Mission:
- Long-term strategy for developing semiconductors- Formulation of a comprehensive long-term strategy for developing semiconductors & display manufacturing facilities and semiconductor design ecosystem in the country in consultation with Government ministries / departments / agencies, industry, and academia.
- Adoption of trusted electronics-Facilitation in the adoption of trusted electronics through secure semiconductors and display supply chain, including raw materials, specialty chemicals, gases, and manufacturing equipment.
- Promoting indigenous Intellectual Property -Promoting indigenous Intellectual Property (IP) generation and encourage, enable and incentivize Transfer of Technologies (ToT).