National Investigation Agency
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has taken over the probe into the Udaipur and Maharashtra killing.
What is the NIA?
- Investigating Agency- It is a central agency mandated to investigate all the offences affecting the sovereignty, security and integrity of India, friendly relations with foreign states.
- Formation- In the wake of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack in November 2008, which shocked the entire world, the then government decided to establish the NIA.
- Power- The agency has the power to search, seize, arrest and prosecute those involved in such off
How wide is NIA's jurisdiction?
- Territorial extent- The law under which the agency operates extends to the whole of India and also applies to Indian citizens outside the country
- Government Servant- Persons in the service of the government wherever they are posted
- Affecting the interest of India- Persons who commit a scheduled offence beyond India against the Indian citizen or affecting the interest of India.