What's New :
Iran to join SCO
Iran has moved a step closer towards becoming a permanent member of a China and Russia-dominated Asian security body, SCO.
About Shanghai Cooperation Organization:
- SCO is a permanent intergovernmental international organization.
- It’s a Eurasian political, economic and military organization aiming to maintain peace, security, and stability in the region.
- It was created in 2001. Prior to the creation of SCO in 2001, Kazakhstan, China, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, and Tajikistan were members of the Shanghai Five.
- The SCO Charter was signed in 2002 and entered into force in 2003.
- India and Pakistan became members in 2017.
- SCO Secretariat – Based in Beijing to provide informational, analytical & organizational support.
- The aim of SCO is to establish cooperation between member nations on:
- Security-related concerns
- Resolving border issues
- Military cooperation
- Intelligence sharing
- Countering terrorism
- Countering American influence in Central Asia
- The 2022 annual summit of the SCO is being held in Samarkand (Samarkand also known as Samarqand, is a city in south-eastern Uzbekistan).
- India will be the next chair of the organisation.
Members countries of SCO
8 Member States
4 Observer States
6 Dialogue Partners
What significance the 2022 SCO summit hold for India?
- While it is the first time since the pandemic, when SCO leaders will be meeting in person, the meet is also going to be a first of many others.
- The meet will be a crucial balancing step for India in view of Russia's war with the eyes of the US on the summit.
- The summit and the Modi-Putin meeting will also coincide with the kicking in of the G7's price cap on Russian oil.
- As India will assume the presidency of the SCO until September 2023, the organisation could also be a vocal platform for New Delhi to push the agenda of regional and cross-regional connectivity.
- India can also use the summit to push for the Chabahar port project and International North-South Transport Corridor (INSTC).
Verifying, please be patient.