10. Sun Pharma’s expansion project near Tamil Nadu’s Vedanthangal Bird Sanctuary set to get green nod
30th Mar, 2022
The Environment Ministry’s Expert Appraisal Committee has recommended grant of environment clearance for Sun Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd.’s expansion project in the Madurantakam taluk, around 3.7 km from the Vedanthangal Bird Sanctuary.
About Vedanthangal Bird Sanctuary:
- Vedanthangal, declared as a bird sanctuary in 1936 in Tamil Nadu, is known as the oldest in India.
- The sanctuary was notified as RF (Reserve Forest) in 1963 under the Madras Act 1882. Finally in 1998, the sanctuary was notified under section 26(i) of the Wildlife Protection Act 1972.
- A tank having a compact grove of Barringtonia and Acacia nilotica trees Dry evergreen scrub and thorn forests.
- The birds nest on the branches of submerged trees. Storks, Egrets, Cormorants, Darter, Flamingos, Pelicans, moor hens, herons, kingfishers, sandpipers, white ibis, spoonbills, swans and grey wagtails are some of the birds which arrive here during season.