Science & Technology
11th Apr, 2022
The Government has approved a central sector scheme for iDEX with budgetary support of Rs. 498.78 crore for the next 5 years from 2021-22 to 2025-26.
Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX):
- It was launched by the Government in April 2018, primarily aims at creation of an ecosystem to foster innovation and technology development in Defence and Aerospace
- It aims at engaging Industries including MSMEs, start-ups, individual innovators, R&D institutes & academia for defence technology to be made and fostered in India.
- It will provide them grants/funding and other support to carry out R&D which has good potential for future adoption for Indian defence and aerospace needs.
- iDEX is funded and managed by a ‘Defence Innovation Organization (DIO)’.
- iDEX functions as the executive arm of DIO, carrying out all the required activities while DIO will provide high level policy guidance to iDEX.
Key Functions of iDex:
- Piloting of candidate technologies in important platforms
- Indigenization of various defence and aerospace related platforms being manufactured in the country based on ToT.
Defence Innovation Organization (DIO)
- DIO is a ‘not for profit’ company registered under Section 8 of the Companies Act 2013.
- Its two founding members are Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) & Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) - Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs).
- HAL and BEL are navratna companies.