Cabinet approves extension of PM Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana till September 2022
Polity & Governance
5th Apr, 2022
The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, recently approved extension of 'Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY)' by six months till September 2022.
Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PM-GKAY)
- PMGKAY is a welfare scheme announced by the government in March 2020 in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Since then, the scheme has been extended multiple times.
- It envisages fulfilling the food requirement of the needy by providing food grains through the public distribution system devised to reach all the priority households (ration cardholders) and Antyodaya Anna Yojana.
- It is a scheme as part of Atmanirbhar Bharat to supply free food grains to migrants and the poor.
- Benefits: During the period May - November 2021, more than 80 crore people will be provided 5 kg free wheat/rice per person/month along with 1 kg free whole chana to each family per month. This is over and above the regular monthly entitlements under National Food Security Act, 2013 (NFSA).
- Families belonging to the Below Poverty Line - Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY) and Priority Households (PHH) categories will be eligible for the scheme
- Households headed by widows or terminally ill persons or disabled persons or persons aged 60 years or more with no assured means of subsistence or societal support
- All primitive tribal households
- Landless agriculture labourers
- All eligible Below Poverty Line families of HIV positive persons