Central Tribal varsity in Telangana
Polity & Governance
16th Dec, 2023
Recently, the Bill for central Tribal varsity in Telangana has been passed in the LokSabha.
About the update:
- The Central Universities (Amendment) Bill, 2023- amends the Central Universities Act, 2009 to set up the SammakkaSarakka Central Tribal University in Telangana’sMulugu district. It was previously cleared by the Union Cabinet.
- Establishing a Central Tribal University in Telangana was obligatory under the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014, which carved out Telangana from the erstwhile Andhra Pradesh state.
- University will cater to the regional aspirations for years to come and promote higher education and research among tribal communities, including in subjects such as tribal art, culture and customs, and technology.
- Will strive to remove regional imbalances.
- Sammakka-Sarakka, a mother-daughter duo, holds a special place in the local tribal folklore.
- Sammakka, married to PagididdaRaju, a Kakatiya dynasty chief, played a pivotal role in protesting against oppressive taxes imposed by local rulers.
- Sarakka, one of her daughters, lost her life in the battle, and Sammakka disappeared into the hills, believed to have transformed into a vermillion casket.
- A biennial festival called the SammakkaSaralammaJatara, one of the largest gatherings of tribal people globally.
- The event commemorates the bravery of the 13th-century mother-daughter duo in their struggle against tax imposition on the Koya people.
- The Jatara begins at Medaram and involves rituals conducted by Koya priests.