Critical and Emerging Technologies Dialogue
3rd Feb, 2023
India and the United States (US) held the inaugural meeting of the Critical and Emerging Technology initiative (iCET)
- India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Joe-Biden announced the initiative in May 2022.
- The objective: "to elevate and expand our strategic technology partnership and defense industrial cooperation between the governments, businesses, and academic institutions of our two countries".
What are Critical and emerging technologies?
- Critical and emerging technologies are a subset of advanced technologies that are potentially significant to U.S. national security".
- They include advanced computing, artificial intelligence (AI), autonomous systems and robotics, communication and networking technologies, financial technologies, quantum information technologies, and semiconductor technologies, among others.
Initiatives by MeitY in Emerging Technologies
- Artificial Intelligence Committees Reports
- Centres of Excellence for Internet of Things (Gandhinagar, Bengaluru, Gurugram & Vizag)
- Centre of Excellence on Virtual & Augmented Reality (VARCoE) at IIT Bhubaneswar
- Centre of Excellence on Gaming, VFX, Computer Vision & AI at Hyderabad
- Centre of Excellence on Blockchain Technology at Gurugram
- Design, Development, and Deployment of National AI Portal (INDIAai)
- POC for AI Research Analytics and Knowledge Dissemination Platform (AIRAWAT)
- Global Partnership on Artificial Intelligence