Fungal outbreak threatens tricoloured bat with extinction
23rd Sep, 2022
US officials have announced recently to list the tricoloured bat as endangered.
- A fungal disease that attacks while bats are hibernating has brought the tricolored bat to the brink of extinction.
About the species:
- The tricolored bat, formerly known as the eastern pipistrelle, is one of the smallest bats in North America.
- Tricolored bats are a hibernating species and have the longest hibernation period of any bat species in their range.
- When not hunkering down for the winter, they may be found in a wide variety of habitats to roost and forage.
- When feeding, these bats can catch insects in the air as often as every 2 seconds and increase their body mass by 25 percent in only half an hour.