IAF inducts indigenously-built Light Combat Helicopter
Science & Technology
7th Oct, 2022
The Indian Air Force has formally inducted the first batch of indigenously developed Light Combat Helicopter “Prachand'.
- Prachand has been formally inducted into the 143 Helicopter Units – an IAF fleet in Jodhpur Base, Rajasthan.
- The name Prachand means “fierce”.
- The attack helicopter also known as tank buster will get its anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) only by mid-2023.
- The ATGM intended to be integrated with Prachand is the indigenous Helina, whose air force version is called
- As of now, the helicopter comes integrated with the European air-to-air missile Mistral 2 launchers, manufactured by the MBDA.
- The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) has approved the procurement of 15 indigenously developed Limited Series Production (LSP) LCH for Rs.3, 887 crore.
- 10 helicopters would be for the IAF and 5 for the Indian Army.
- 8-tonne twin-engine helicopter is designed for deployment in high-altitude regions.
- Armed with air-to-air missiles, 20 mm turret guns, rocket systems, and other weapons.
- Stealth features, armoured-protection systems, night attack capability, and crash-worthy landing gear for better survivability.
- Reduced visual, aural, radar, and IR signatures and crashworthiness features for better survivability add to its stealth capability.
- Extended range, high altitude performance, and all-weather combat capability.
- Aviation technologies like a glass cockpit and composite airframe structures have been indigenized.
Other indigenous defense products:
- Light Combat Aircraft
- Aakash Missile System
- Advance Light Helicopter
Made in India:
- The Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) is designed and developed by state-run aerospace major Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL).
- The LCH has similarities with the Advanced Light Helicopter Dhruv, designed and developed by HAL.
- The helicopter has been tested under stringent operating conditions including at sea level, in desert regions, and in Siachen.
- It will enhance our capability.
- It will boost defense production.
- It will improve India's commitment toward self-reliance in Defence production.