Indian Railways announces the closure of COFMOW
Polity & Governance
21st Oct, 2022
The Ministry of Railways announced the closure of the four-decade-old Central Organisation for Modernization of Workshops (COFMOW).
- On the recommendations of the Principal Economic Advisor, Ministry of Finance, on the rationalization of government bodies, the Railway Board confirmed the winding up of (COFMOW).
Central Organisation for Modernisation of Workshops (COFMOW):
- COFMOW was established under the Ministry of Railways by the Govt. of India for modernizing Indian Railway workshops.
- The modernization project was funded through World Bank credits.
- Since its establishment in 1979 COFMOW has assisted in modernizing Indian Railways Production Units and maintenance workshops.
- It emerged as a leading specialized organization in the fields of manufacturing and maintenance technologies.
- COFMOW was barred from floating or opening of tenders with immediate effect.
- All sanctioned works against which tenders have not been finalized yet will be transferred to the respective Zonal Railways.
- All non-gazette posts would be surrendered and the staff released/repatriated/re-deployed elsewhere.