Legendary santoor maestro Pandit Shivkumar Sharma passes away
Art and culture
23rd May, 2022
Veteran santoor player and music composer Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma passes away at the age of 84, following a heart attack.
Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma:
- Shiv Kumar Sharma was born in Jammu in 1938.
- He is believed to be the first musician to have played Indian classical music on the santoor.
- Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma was awarded:
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1986
- Padma Shri in 1991
- Padma Vibhushan in 2001
Important facts about Santoor
- Type: TAT VADYA
- Santoor is a stringed instrument made of wood, steel, and bamboo.
- This is a traditional instrument, found in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Majorly used in the traditional music of Kashmir called Sufiana Qalam.
- It has now acquired an important place as a classical music instrument.
- A trapezoid wooden box, 120 steel strings, stretched on 30 wooden bridges in sets of four on each bridge.
- Bridges are arranged in a set of fifteen on each side.
- Struck by bamboo mallets.
- It is placed on a triangular wooden stand while playing.