Modi releases PM CARES benefits for ‘COVID orphans’
6th Jun, 2022
PM Modi transferred scholarships to school-going children under the PM CARES scheme.
PM CARES for Children scheme:
- PM CARES for Children Scheme was launched by the Prime Minister on May 29, 2021.
- It aims to support children who have lost both their parents or legal guardian or adoptive parents or surviving parents to COVID-19 pandemic, during the period from March 11, 2020, to February 28, 2022.
- The objective of the scheme is to ensure comprehensive care and protection of children in a sustained manner by providing them boarding and lodging, empowering them through education and scholarships, equipping them for self-sufficient existence with financial support of Rs 10 lakh on attaining 23 years of age and ensuring their wellbeing through health insurance.
- An online portal by the Government was launched to register the children.
- The portal is a single-window system which facilitates the approval process and all other assistance for children.
- The portal named “pmcaresforchildren.in”.
- The portal is a single window system which facilitates approval process and all other assistance for children.
- Beneficiaries are also being given Ayushman Health Card, which will help them with free medical treatment of up to Rs 5 lakh.
- Identified beneficiaries under the age of six will receive support and assistance from the Anganwadi services for supplementary nutrition, pre-school education/ECCE, immunization, health referrals, and health check-up.
- For children 10 years of age, the government will provide admission in the nearest school as a day scholar.
- For a child in a government school, two sets of free uniforms and textbooks will be provided. While for a student in a private school, the fees will be exempted.
- Children will receive a monthly stipend once they attain 18 years of age, by investing the corpus of Rs 10 lakhs.
- The beneficiary will receive stipend till they attain 23 years of age.
- They will receive an amount of Rs. 10 lakh on attaining 23 years of age.