National Technology Day
Science & Technology
23rd May, 2022
May 11th is celebrated as National Technology Day to remind Indians of the country's technological advancements.
National Technology Day 2022:
- The day is celebrated every year on May 11 across the country as National Technology Day.
- The first time the National Technology Day was celebrated was on May 11, 1999.
- The day celebrates the achievements in the Science and Technology sector.
- Technology Development Board (TDB):
- A statutory body within the Department of Science and Technology at the Centre has been celebrating the day by honouring technological innovations that have added to the national growth.
- Each year the Board organises an event where the President of India confers awards to scientists for their contributions.
- It also provides financial assistance for concerns of Indian industries and other agencies for commercialization of indigenized technologies or adoption of imported technologies for wider domestic applications.
- Theme: Each year a different theme is given for celebrating this important day.
- This is decided by the Technology Development Board (TDB).
- The theme of Year 2022 is: "Integrated Approach in Science and Technology for a Sustainable Future".
Significance of the day:
- On the same day in 1998, India carried out three successful nuclear tests under the name Operation Shakti, at the Indian Army’s Pokhran Test Range which is located in Rajasthan, which had following features:
- It was the code name given to the nuclear tests.
- The tests were led by the late President Dr APJ Abdul Kalam.
- These nuclear tests gave India entry into the elite group of nations with nuclear weapons.
- India became the sixth nation to join the `nuclear-club’.
- The Indian Army in collaboration with Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), Atomic Minerals Directorate for Exploration and Research (AMDER) and scientists from the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) conducted the tests.