Need voluntary guidelines for social media during elections: Experts
Polity & Governance
28th Jan, 2023
Addressing Election Commission of India (ECI)’s international conference on ‘the use of technology election integrity’, the President of International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) has highlighted that there is a need for working out voluntary guidelines for social media companies.
About International foundation for Electoral systems (IFES):
- The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) promotes democratic stability by providing technical assistance and applying field-based research to the electoral cycle in countries around the world to enhance citizen participation and strengthen civil societies, governance and transparency.
- IFES views disenfranchisement and exclusion of persons with disabilities as a human rights issue. IFES promotes the electoral and political rights of persons with disabilities and ensures that a disability perspective is incorporated into the design and implementation of all international programs and DC-based organizational practices.
- IFES has implemented disability programming in more than 30 countries around the world.
- IFES has led a series of initiatives to promote the electoral and political enfranchisement of persons with disabilities in several different arenas, including securing full participation of persons with disabilities as voters and candidates.
- Country-specific projects that are successful are replicated in other regions where IFES works. Even if donors do not explicitly require a disability component, IFES aims to include electoral access elements in each project.
- Fund mechanism: IFES is funded by the US Department of State, Canada, the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, Australian Aid, and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency, among others.