Niti Aayog launches SDG Urban Index & Dashboard 2021-22
Polity & Governance
1st Dec, 2021
Niti Aayog has released its inaugural 'SDG Urban Index & Dashboard 2021-22'.
About the Index
- The index is a result of the collaborative efforts of Niti Aayog-Giz & BMZ, under the Indo-German development cooperation.
- It is an attempt to localize sustainable development goals (SDG) & ensure progress at national, state, union territory and local levels.
- The index ranks 56 urban areas on 77 SDG indicators, across 46 targets of the SDG framework.
- Source of data: The data is sourced from official sources like National Family Health Survey, National Crime Records Bureau, Unified District Info System for Education, various ministries & other government data sources.
Key-findings of the Index
- Top 10 Urban areas: Shimla, Coimbatore, Chandigarh, Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi, Panaji, Pune, Tiruchirapalli, Ahmedabad, and Nagpur.
- Population: Out of 56 urban areas ranked in the index, 44 are with population of above one million, 12 are state capitals with a population of less than a million.
- SDG framework was first released in United Nations in 2015, with 17 SDG goals that include no poverty, zero hunger, gender equality & clean water and sanitation.
- For each SDG, the urban areas are ranked on a scale of 0-100.