Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana
Polity & Governance
31st Jan, 2019
- The government is planning to conduct a survey on the relevance and efficacy of the ‘Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana’ (PMMVY), a cash-based maternity benefit scheme.
- The survey will be conducted by an independent agency and will look at the ‘’relevance” and implementation of the scheme.
- Enrolment under the scheme till August 2018 was 8.6 million, which is 50% of the targeted population as per the government.
- The Government has approved Pan-India implementation of Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY), a Centrally Sponsored Conditional Cash Transfer Scheme, on 05.2017 for implementation across the country with effect from 01.01.2017.
- The scheme is implemented through web based Management and Information System (MIS) Software, viz. Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana-Common Application Software (PMMVY-CAS).
- No impact assessment study of the scheme is available now as the effective implementation of the scheme has just completed one year.
Main features of the scheme
- Under PMMVY, a cash incentive of Rs. 5000 is being provided directly in the account of Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers (PW&LM) for first living child of the family subject to their fulfilling specific conditions relating to maternal and child health.
- The eligible beneficiaries would receive the remaining cash incentives as per approved norms towards maternity benefit under Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) after institutional delivery so that on an average, a woman will get Rs. 6000.
- It also provides grants-in-aid to the State Governments/ Union Territory Administrations in a dedicated Escrow account for the purpose of direct benefit transfer to the beneficiaries.
- The focal point of implementation would be the Anganwadi Centre (AWC) and ASHA/ ANM workers.
Objectives of PMMVY
- Providing partial compensation for the wage loss in terms of cash incentives so that the woman can take adequate rest before and after delivery of the first living child.
- It also aims to improved health seeking behaviour amongst the Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers (PW&LM).
- All PW&LM, excluding those who are in regular employment with the Central Government or the State Governments or PSUs or those who are in receipt of similar benefits under any law for the time being in force.
- All eligible PW&LM who have their pregnancy on or after 01.01.2017 for first child in family.
- The date and stage of pregnancy for a beneficiary are counted with respect to her LMP date as mentioned in the MCP card.
Case of Miscarriage/Still Birth:
- A beneficiary is eligible to receive benefits under the scheme only once.
- In case of miscarriage/still birth, the beneficiary would be eligible to claim the remaining instalment(s) in event of any future pregnancy.
Case of Infant Mortality
- A beneficiary is eligible to receive benefits under the scheme only once. That is, in case of infant mortality, she will not be eligible for claiming benefits under the scheme, if she has already received all the instalments of the maternity benefit under PMMVY earlier.
- Pregnant and Lactating AWWs/ AWHs/ ASHA may also avail the benefits under the PMMVY subject to fulfilment of scheme conditions.