Polity & Governance
15th Oct, 2019
Government launches Prakash portal to improve coal supply to power plants.
- Prakash stands for ‘Power Rail Koyla Availability through Supply Harmony’.
- The Portal aims at bringing better coordination for coal supplies among all stakeholders viz - Ministry of Power, Ministry of Coal, Coal India, Railways and power utilities.
- This is an important step in ensuring adequate availability and optimum utilization of coal at thermal power plants.
The Portal is designed to help in mapping and monitoring entire coal supply chain for power plants
- Coal Stock at supply end (mines),
- Coal quantities/ rakes planned,
- Coal quantity in transit and
- Coal availability at power generating station.
Benefits of Portal to the Stakeholders
- Coal company will be able to track stocks and the coal requirement at power stations for effective production planning
- Indian Railways will plan to place the rakes as per actual coal available at siding and stock available at power stations.
- Power stations can plan future schedule by knowing rakes in pipe line and expected time to reach.
- Stock at power generating station
- Ministry of Power /Ministry of Coal/ CEA/ POSOCO can review overall availability of coal at thermal power plants in different regions