Rashtriya Gokul mission
Polity & Governance
5th Apr, 2022
Recently Minister of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying gave a written reply about Rashtriya Gokul Mission (RGM).
About Rashtriya Gokul Mission:
- Rashtriya Gokul Mission (RGM) has been launched in December 2014 with an outlay of Rs2025 crore for development and conservation of indigenous breeds through selective breeding in the breeding tract and genetic upgradation of nondescript bovine population.
- The scheme comprises of two components namely National Programme for Bovine Breeding (NPBB) and National Mission on Bovine Productivity (NMBP).
- Key objectives of the mission:
- To undertake breed improvement programme for indigenous cattle breeds so as to improve the genetic makeup and increase the stock.
- To distribute disease free high genetic merit bulls of indigenous breeds for natural service.
- To upgrade nondescript cattle using elite indigenous breeds like Gir, Sahiwal, Rathi, Deoni, Tharparkar, Red Sindhi.