State Startup Ranking Report
28th Dec, 2018
The Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) announced results of the first ever States’ Start-up Ranking 2018 at an event in New Delhi recently.
States have been identified as leaders across various categories such as Start-up policy leaders, incubation hubs, seeding innovation, scaling innovation, regulatory change champions, procurement leaders, communication champions, North-Eastern leader, and hill state leader.
On the basis of performance in these categories, the States have been recognised as the Best Performer, Top Performers, Leaders, Aspiring Leaders, Emerging States and Beginners, as
Motive behind the Ranking
- The key objective of the exercise was to encourage States and Union Territories to take proactive steps towards strengthening the Start-upecosystems in their states. The methodology has been aimed at creating a healthy competition among States to further learn, share and adopt good practices.
- The entire exercise was conducted for capacity development and to further the spirit of cooperative federalism.
Selection process and methodology
- DIPP consulted all stakeholders of the Start-up ecosystem and came up with 7 key reform areas as the basis of the States’ Start-up ranking framework. An online portal was launched, which was instrumental in enabling States seamlessly submit their initiatives across these reform areas.
- A total of 27 States and 3 Union Territories participated in the exercise.
- Evaluation committee comprising independent experts from the Start-up ecosystem assessed the responses across various parameters.
- Many parameters involved getting feedback from beneficiaries. More than 40,000 calls were made in 9 different languages to connect with beneficiaries to get a real pulse at the implementation levels.
Start-ups are very important for the country as they create jobs and India resides in its states and start-ups with their innovative ideas will be able to solve social, agricultural and service sector problems of the country.