Swayangsiddha-a scheme to combat human trafficking in Bengal
Polity & Governance
20th Sep, 2018
In order to curb human trafficking in Bengal, state police has come up with a self-reliance scheme known as Swayansiddha.
- The initiative will encourage youth-led action and partnership which will empower young girls and boys with knowledge and skills to make them less vulnerable to violation and abuse of their rights.
- It will achieve above target through-
- Raising awareness on human, gender and child rights and strengthening prevention of human trafficking and child marriage using converging approach.
- Engaging youth from different schools and colleges to combat human trafficking and child marriage.
- Strengthening response mechanism in collaboration with police and protection committees to build safe community
- Strengthening access to schemes and entitlements on education, training, livelihood and food security for vulnerable groups.
- It is a move in the right direction as the state has the highest number of missing children as per the recently released data of Home Ministry.
- It is first of its kind in terms of community participation in crime control measures.