UN selects Noida for Global Sustainable Cities 2025 initiative
6th Dec, 2018
The United Nations selected Uttar Pradesh’s Noida and Greater Noida to participate in its Global Sustainable Cities 2025 initiative.
- The twin-cities in Gautam Buddh Nagar district, adjoining the national capital, have been selected in the “University City” category ahead of Mumbai and Bengaluru as the only invitee from India.
- Overall 25 cities across the world have been selected in five categories by the UN Global Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) cities initiative.
- Noida (along with Greater Noida) will participate in this showcase 'Race to Sustainability' among 25 global cities to become fully compliant with the Sustainable Development Goals by 2025 under the UN Global Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) cities initiative.
- The goal is to work together with other participating university cities like Cambridge, Palo Alto, Trondheim, Espoo and Heidelberg to create Sustainability Innovation and Research Hubs.
- The SDGs, otherwise known as the Global Goals, are a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity.
- Sustainable Development Goals Commitment Report (SCR) overcomes the limitations of current evaluation systems, such as inadequate transparency on evaluation criteria and methodology, inexperienced analysts, backward looking analysis with limited prognosis, and potential conflicts of interest.
- SDG cities initiative will lead to an “unprecedented inflow” of global knowledge, resources and capacity-building into Noida and Greater Noida via various UN agencies, partners and corporate supporters.
- Agreeing to the invitation for the long term project would entitle Noida-Greater Noida for multi-million US dollars finance and implementation know-how for each of the 17 SDGs along the defined KPIs (key performance indicators).