PRADHAN MANTRI GARIB KALYAN YOJANA (PMGKY)
9th Jul, 2020
- The Government has declared the extension of Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana (PMGKY) till November.
- This extension means, that citizens in poorer sections of the society will continue to receive relief, in the form of foodgrains and more for the next five months.
- For the next five months, citizens will be able to avail 5 kg rice or wheat over what they were getting on ration. In addition to this, 1 Kg Chana will be made available for each family per month.
What Is PM Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana?
- In the wake of the ongoing economic and social crisis due to the coronavirus pandemic, the government rolled out a special economic relief package worth Rs 20 lakh crore to help the industry, middle class, micro, small and medium enterprises and the large industries.
- The package focusses on land, labour, liquidity and law, while helping small business, labourers, and farmers.
- The scheme has benefited as many as 80 crore people to get free rations during the crucial lockdown months.
- This scheme entails the distribution of 5 kg of wheat or rice to each family every month.