World Milk Day
6th Jun, 2022
Every year June 1 is celebrated as World Milk Day.
About World Milk Day:
- In 2001, World Milk Day was established by the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations to recognize the importance of milk as a global food and to celebrate the dairy sector.
- Each year since, the benefits of milk and dairy products have been actively promoted around the world, including how dairy supports the livelihoods of one billion people.
Theme of 2022:
- World Milk Day is celebrated with different themes each year. In 2022, this day will follow the theme of achieving “Dairy Net Zero”.
- This means that the day aims to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by the dairy industry over the next 30 years.
- The theme also marks the need to improve waste management in the dairy sector in order to make the industry more sustainable.
- World Milk Day is marked to celebrate the contributions of the milk and dairy sector to the human population around the globe.
- According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, the day provides a chance to draw attention to milk and to publicise milk-related events and activities.
- The fact that several countries chose the same day adds to the significance of specific national celebrations and demonstrates that milk is a globally used food.
Benefits of milk
- Milk is a rich source of several minerals and nutrients that are necessary for the body's proper functioning.
- It is rich in calcium and vitamin D.
- It also has high potassium content.
- With magnesium and a lot of folates, milk is a nutritious drink.
- Its consumption can help strengthen bones and lower the risks of heart diseases.