World’s largest grain storage plan
2nd Jun, 2023
Recently, the Union Cabinet approved the constitution and empowerment of an Inter-Ministerial Committee (IMC) for facilitation of the “world’s largest grain storage plan in cooperative sector” by convergence of various schemes of the Ministries of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution and Food Processing Industries.
- The Ministry of Cooperation is implementing a pilot project in at least 10 selected districts of different States to ensure timely and uniform implementation of the plan in a professional manner.
- The committee will lay guidelines for creating infrastructure such as godowns, for agriculture and allied purposes, at selected ‘viable’ Primary Agricultural Credit Societies (PACS).
- The plan will be implemented by utilising the available outlays provided under the identified schemes of the respective Ministries.
- Lack of agricultural storage capacity leads to wastage of food grains and farmers are forced to sell their crops at low prices.
- This plan will enable PACS to provide storage facilities and undertake many other activities, such as Fair Price Shop and Custom Hiring Centres.
- Farmers could sell their crops to PACS by receiving some advance payment at the Minimum Support Price, and get the balance after the PACS sold the food grains in the market.