GS Paper 2 Model Hints for UPSC Mains Exam 2017
UPSC Mains 2017 GS Paper 2 Model Hints
1. “The local self-government system in India has not proved to be effective instrument of governance.”
Critically examine the statement and give your view to improve the situation.
The local self-government was implemented by the 73rd and 74th Constitutional Acts in 1992 where they
were envisaged as the effective instruments of governance.
They have not lived up to this expectation, because:
• Function- Only 8 state governments and 1 Union territory have transferred all 29 functions to PRIs.
• Functions- Only 6 states have devolved matching amount of funds to local governments. They don’t
have lucrative taxable income.
• Functionary- they can appoint only lower level ad- hoc functionaries thereby depending entirely upon
the state government for functionaries.
• They are regarded as subordinate departments by state governments.