P.V. Sindhu wins Singapore open
PV Sindhu won the first Super 500 title of her career when she defeated reigning Asian champion Wang Zhi Yi of China in the final of the Singapore Open.
- Indian badminton star PV Sindhu won the women’s singles title at the Singapore Open 2022 BWF Super 500 tournament after beating Chinese shuttler Wang Zhi Yi.
- This is her first 500 or better since the world championship win in 2019. This is her first 500 or better final in 2022.
- This is an important marker for the world No 7 while the rankings are still frozen.
- This was two-time Olympic medallist PV Sindhu’s third title of the year.
- The earlier two, the Syed Modi International in January and Swiss Open in March.
- Other Singapore Open title winner:
- The last time an Indian won the Singapore Open was in 2017 when B Sai Praneeth clinched the men’s singles title.
- Saina Nehwal won the women’s singles title in 2010.