BalamaniAmma, grandmother of Malayalam literature
Google Doodle celebrated the 113th birthday of famous Indian poet BalamaniAmma, known as the grandmother of Malayalam literature.
- BalamaniAmma, the grandmother of Malayalam literature, was born on 19 July 1909 in Thrissur district.
- She continues to be known as the ‘amma’ (mother) and ‘muthassi’ (grandmother), of Malayalam poetry.
- BalamaniAmmanever received any formal education.
- She was taught at home by her uncle Nalappat Narayana Menon, who was also a famous Malayali poet.
- BalamaniAmma was also the mother of Kamala Das.
- Kamala Das was nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1984.
- She passed away in 2004 and was cremated with full state honours.