Joe Biden’s surprise visit to Kyiv
24th Feb, 2023
The US president made an unannounced visit to Ukraine to meet his counterpart President of Ukraine as the war completes a year.
- This is the first visit to the war-torn nation since Russia’s invasion began on 24 February 2022.
What did the two leaders discuss? (Key-highlights)
- Increased arms delivery: The US promised increased arms deliveries for Ukraine and vowed Washington’s “unflagging commitment” to defending Ukraine’s territorial integrity.
- Financial assistance: The US announced an additional half-billion dollars in US assistance — on top of the more than $50 billion already provided — including shells for howitzers, anti-tank missiles, air surveillance radars and other aid but no new advanced weaponry.
- Further announcement in White House of another delivery of critical equipment, including artillery ammunition, anti-armour systems, and air surveillance radars to help protect the Ukrainian people from aerial bombardments.
- Warning for Russia: There will be more sanctions on Russia.
Significance of visit:
- America is back: Biden’s visit to Kyiv is to underscore that the US is prepared to stick with Ukraine “as long as it takes” to repel Russian forces.
- Strong support for Ukraine: For Ukraine, the symbolism of having the US president stand side by side with him on Ukrainian land as the anniversary nears is no small thing.
- Defiance against Russia: The visit marked an act of defiance against Russia, who had hoped his military would swiftly overrun Kyiv within days.