‘Blue Flag’ tag
28th Sep, 2021
Kovalam beach in Tamil Nadu and Eden beach in Puducherry have been granted Blue Flag certification.
The newly certified beaches
- Kovalam Beach is located on the coastline of the Bay of Bengal near the village Covelong in the Kanchipuram district about 40 kilometres away from Chennai.
- Eden Beach in situated in Chinna Veerampattinam near Puducherry.
- With this latest addition, India now has 10 beaches which have received the Blue Flag Tag. Previously certified beaches in India are as given below:
- Shivrajpur in Gujarat
- Ghoghla in Diu
- Padubidri in Karnataka
- Kappad in Kerala
- Rushikonda in Andhra Pradesh
- Golden in Odisha
- Radhanagar in Andaman and Nicobar
What does Blue Flag status mean?
- The Blue Flag is one of the world's most recognized voluntary eco-labels awarded to beaches, marinas and sustainable boating tourism operators.
- To qualify for a Blue Flag, a series of stringent environmental, educational, safety and accessibility criteria must be fulfilled and maintained.
- A waving “Blue Flag" is an indication of 100% compliance to these 33 stringent criteria and sound health of the beach. These criterias are divided into 4 major heads namely-
- Environmental education and information
- Bathing water quality
- Environmental management
- Conservation and safety services in the beaches
- The Blue Flag programme was started in France in 1985 and in areas out of Europe in 2001.
Who gives this award?
- Foundation for Environment Education (FEE) in Denmark awards the certification.
- It is accorded by International Jury comprising of members from IUCN, UNWTO, UNEP, UNESCO etc.
Foundation for Environment Education (FEE)
- FEE is the world's largest environmental education organisation, with members in 77 countries.
- It is a non-governmental, non-profit organisation promoting sustainable development through environmental education.
- The organization is active in five programmes:
- Blue Flag
- Young Reporters for the Environment (YRE)
- Learning about Forests (LEAF)
- Green Key International
Indian initiatives for sustainable development of coastal regions
- Beach Environment & Aesthetics Management Services (BEAMS)
- Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM) initiatives