Centre identifies 75 tribal districts for focused TB interventions
Polity & Governance
2nd Sep, 2022
To mark 75 years of India’s Independence, 75 high-burden tribal districts have been selected for focused interventions in the coming months during the 100-day Aashwasan Campaign under the ‘Tribal TB Initiative’.
Tribal TB Initiative:
- Tribal TB Initiative is a joint initiativeof the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and Central TB Division, Ministry of Health.
- It is supported by United States Agency for International Development (USAID) as a technical partner and Piramal Swasthya as implementing partner.
- The Aashwasan Campaign started in January 2022 for active case finding for TB in 174 tribal districts of India, under the ambit of the Tribal TB Initiative.
- It was flagged off in Nandurbar District, Maharashtra.
- Under the initiative, door-to-door screening for TB was undertaken covering 68,019 villages.
- TB is caused by a bacterium called Mycobacterium tuberculosis, belonging to the Mycobacteriaceae family consisting of about 200 members.
- In humans, TB most commonly affects the lungs (pulmonary TB), but it can also affect other organs (extra-pulmonary TB).
- TB is a very ancient disease and has been documented to have existed in Egypt as early as 3000 BC.
- TB is a treatable and curable disease.
- Transmission: TB is spread from person to person through the air. When people with lung TB cough, sneeze or spit, they propel the TB germs into the air.
- Currently, the following two vaccines have been developed and identified for TB, and are under Phase-3 clinical trial:
- VPM (Vaccine Projekt Management) 1002
- MIP (Mycobacterium Indicus Pranii)
- World TB Day is observed on March 24.
- TB Mukt Bharat (TB-free India): India is committed to ending the TB epidemic by 2025, five years ahead of the SDG target timeline.
- Important national and international initiative to end TB
- National TB Elimination Programme (NTEP)
- National Strategic Plan (NSP) for Tuberculosis Elimination (2017-2025)
- The Nikshay Ecosystem (National TB information system)
- Nikshay Poshan Yojana (NPY- financial support)
- TB Harega Desh Jeetega Campaign.
- TB Free India Campaign
- Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme (RNTCP)
- International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union)