1st Sep, 2021
Indo-UK Naval Exercise, ‘Konkan 2021’ was recently held between INS Tabar and HMS Westminster in the English Channel.The English Channel is located between the Isle of Great Britain’s southern coast and France’s northern coast and separated from the North Sea on the north by the Strait of Dover.
Key-highlights of Konkan-2021
- The naval exercise Konkan is held between the navies of India and the United Kingdom.
- It is based on the long-term strategic relationship between them.
- ??The bilateral Konkan exercise started in 2004 and has now grown in scale.
- A wide range of exercises were conduced including-
- Co-ordinated anti-submarine procedures
- Firing drills
- Combined maritime picture compilation
- Combat formation maneuvering
- Replenishment at sea was conducted
Other Exercises between India and UK:
- Exercise ‘Indradhanush’ (Air Force Exercise)
- Ajeya Warrior (Joint Military Exercise)
About INS Tabar
- INS Tabar is the third Talwar-class frigate in the Indian Navy.
- Commissioned on: April 19, 2004 in Kaliningrad, Russia.
- It reached the homeport of Mumbai on July 31, 2004.
- INS Tabar is assigned to Western Naval Command of the Indian Navy, which is headquartered in Mumbai.
- This warship can handle air or surface or subsurface missions and defend herself.
- It is a Type 23 frigate of the Royal Navy.
- Launched on: February 4, 1992
- It has been named after the Dukedom of Westminster.