Indian Army to raise cyber operations and support wings
Science & Technology
5th May, 2023
With cyber warfare a key focus, especially with, the Army has decided to raise Command Cyber Operations and Support Wings (CCOSW) to help the forces counter enemy capabilities.
About Command Cyber Operations and Support Wings (CCOSW)
- The CCOSW will assist formations to undertake mandated cyber security functions to strengthen the Army’s cyber security posture.
- Aim: To safeguard the networks and increase the preparedness levels in this niche domain.
- This is a part of an overall approach to absorb niche technologies and modernise its online networks.
What is the need?
- Increasing competition from neighbour: China and Pakistan are investing heavily in it.
- Moving towards net centricity: The army is a rapidly migrating towards net centricity, which entails an increased reliance on modern communication systems.
- Widening cyberspace: Cyberspace has emerged as an important component of the military domain, both in grey zone warfare as well as conventional operations.
- Inclusion of tech-enabled equipment: A large number and variety of niche tech-enabled equipment are being inducted into the Indian Army. These include a variety of tactical/mini/micro/logistics drones or UAVs, drone swarms, loitering weapons systems, and electronic warfare and anti-drone equipment, among others.