Polity & Governance
11th Nov, 2022
In a recent assessment (based on departmental works) of the rural development schemes like Pradhan Mantri Awas Gramin, Gram Sadak Yojana etc, Madhya Pradesh became the top state for implementing these Schemes.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Gramin Yojana:
- Ministry Involved:Ministry of Rural development.
- Toprovide a pucca house with basic amenities to all rural families, who are homeless or living in kutcha or dilapidated houses by the end of March 2022
- Tohelp rural people Below the Poverty Line (BPL) in construction of dwelling units and upgradation of existing unserviceable kutcha houses by providing assistance in the form of a full grant.
- Beneficiaries:People belonging to SCs/STs, freed bonded labourers and non-SC/ST categories, widows or next-of-kin of defence personnel killed in action, ex-servicemen and retired members of the paramilitary forces, disabled persons and
- Selection of Beneficiaries:Through a three-stage validation - Socio-Economic Caste Census 2011, Gram Sabha, and geo-tagging.
- Cost Sharing:The cost of unit assistance is shared between Central and State Governments in the ratio of 60:40 in plain areas and 90:10 for North Eastern and hilly states.
- The unit assistance has been increased from Rs. 70,000 to Rs. 1.20 lakh in plain and from Rs. 75,000 to Rs. 1.30 lakh in hilly states.
- The assistance for construction of toilets shall be leveraged through convergence with Swachh Bharat Mission-Gramin (SBM-G), MGNREGSor any other dedicated source of funding.
Gram Sadak Yojana:
- Launched on: 25th December, 2000.
- Objective: To provide connectivity, by way of an all-weather road to unconnected habitations.
- Eligibility: Unconnected habitations of designated population size (500+ in plain areas and 250+ in North-Eastern States, Himalayan States, Deserts and Tribal Areas as per 2001 census) in the core network for uplifting the socio-economic condition of the rural population.
- Construction of Rural Roads: The Rural Roads constructed under the PMGSY will be in accordance with the provision of the Indian Roads Congress (IRC).
- IRC is the Apex Body of Highway Engineers in the country.
- The IRC was set up in 1934.
Important schemes for Rural Development
Implementing Agency: Ministry of Rural Development and the Government of India in coordination with Department of Rural Development and Department of Land Resources.
- Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY)
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana
- Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana/ National Rural Livelihood Mission
- Prime Minister Rural Development Fellows Scheme
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA)
- Sampoorna Grameen Rozgar Yojana (SGRY)
- Samagra Siksha Abhiyan
- Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY)
- National Social Assistance Programme (NSAP)
- Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY)
- Provision of Urban Amenities In Rural Areas (PURA)